Thursday 22 November 2007

Ouch! Moving Is Expensive

I've been crunching my numbers for moving and I’m looking at approximately $3000 to relocate.

This breaks down to:

  • 2 weeks rent in advance - $660 (assuming $330 per week rent)
  • 4 weeks rent as bond - $1320
  • Removalist costs - $500
  • End of lease clean of old place - $300
  • Bonds for electricity/gas - $100
  • Post Redirection for 6 months - $35
  • Boxes & tape - $100

Not to mention the hoops you have to jump through to rent a place these days. It’s been six years since I last went through this, and the world seems to have gone mad in the meantime.

I have to supply:

  • Photo Identification - current drivers licence or passport
  • Other Identification – Medicare card, debit card
  • Proof Of Current Address - phone account, electricity/gas account, bank statement, mobile phone account etc.
  • Proof Of Employment/Income - current payslip or a letter on company letterhead from your employer confirming employment and salary.
  • Proof Of Regular Housing Payments - copy of rental ledger from your current agent
  • References from your previous agents, and 2 personal references

The application form I printed out for one real estate to get a feel for things is no less than 8 pages long and asks all manner of questions. All of which you have to answer if you want to have your application considered, supplying all of this is no guarantee of securing the property.

I just need those references sorted out then I’ll be good to start applying this weekend if I find something. If they just need names and contact details though I’ll be fine.

I think buying a place would be easier than this, even more reason to get my finances sorted out so I never have to do this again!

Subscribe in a reader or Subscribe via email

No comments:

Post a Comment